The perfect tablet for me
For a very long time I have been looking for the perfect tablet for me,I tried the Apple iPad, the Acer Iconia A500, the Samsung Galaxy Tab (original) and the 10.1″, the HTC Jetstream/Puccini (my biggest deception) and finally the HTC Flyer. I also has a chance to play with a Fujitsu Windows 7 tablet (a nightmare…). I tried all I could in terms of size, operating system, brands and I have to admit, even if I am so far satisfied with the Flyer, it is far from fulfill all my expectations. So HTC, Samsung, Acer or any other manufacturer up for the challenge here is what I dream about!
First, let’s start on the hardware side of it. Here no dual, quad or octo-cores, on this on I would agree with Apple, I do not care what is inside as long as it runs smoothly. so here is my list:
- The charger:
- Should be at least I need and want a normal micro-USB charger, I am indeed fed-up since tabs are on the market to see that each manufacturer has it’s own proprietary charger like ten years ago with phones. Does Europe have to force them again on a common connector?
- The DREAM: a dock like the Palm Pre or the Dell Latitude Z offered that would recharge the tablet and also be a dock. Once the tablet on, it would allow me to use the tablet as a computer, like Canonical superbly succeeded to do on this prototype
- Of course the tablet must be connected, LTE, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.0, NFC and GPS (mandatory)
- The size, for me, and I understand that this is a very personal choice, 7″ is just perfect and I would love to see a screen with bezel not any ticker than 3mm (0.1″)
- Battery life: the tablet should allow me at least 3 full day of work
- The screen should be HD at least 720p
- A stylus would be incorporated to allow notes captures, drawing and all other relevant use.
- The camera would allow 1080p recording and have a 3X optical zoom with a good 8Mpixel sensor
Now on the software side, here are my thoughts
- Android or Windows 8, indeed I need an operating system that is “open” where I can find my apps where I want, side load my software and where I would not need something like iTunes to transfer files or access my device. Also, for the first bullet stated in the hardware section, I need a OS that would allow me to access mobile and full applications depending on the context the tablet is used in.
- I need a tablet that does not need drivers, software or other middle-ware to be accessible and communicate with other computers.
- If this tablet would come to use Android, I need a fully open and disclosed source so the community could update and tweak it without the need to wait for official releases.
- The tablet could of course the user to make phone calls
- The tablet would have a remote access functionality, to remotely be able to wipe it, access the data, install/remove apps, restore/backup…
Here are my thoughts about what a tablet could and should be, free free to share yours and let me know what you thinks.
- None found